The Presidency Pro-Témpore (PPT) is designated by consensus of the Member Countries during the Vice-Ministerial Meeting. Countries interested in chairing the Conference must inform of this during the Planary Meeting at least one year before. The PPT is currently held by the Government of Costa Rica.
Among its main functions are the following:
- To facilitate the co-ordination of the meetings of the Regional Conference on Migration (RCM) and the Regional Consultation Group on Migration (RCGM).
- To convene the meetings of the RCM and send the corresponding invitations through the Technical Secretariat.
- To take on the coordination and general management of the meetings and activities of the RCM held during its chair.
- To assume the coordination of the meetings and activities of the RCGM and the two Liaison Officer Networks established within the RCM: the Liaison Officers Network to Combat Migrant Smuggling and Trafficking in Persons and the Liaison Officers Network for Consular Protection.
- To ask Member Contries to designate delegates for the Drafting Committee at the begining of each meeting. It chairs the Drafting Committees of the Networks, the RCGM and the RCM. The following documents must be produced: the Report of each Network, the Conclusions of the RCGM, the Recomendations for the Vice-Ministers, and a draft of the Declaration and Decisions, according to the agreements reached during the Plenary Meetings of the RCM.
- To identify, under consultation with Member Countries, the high-priority activities of the Plan of Action that are pending or require funding to be carried out.
- To take on the expenses related to organizing the Meetings of the Vice-Ministers and the RCGM.
- To assume som responsibilities regarding the administration of the Fund for the Return of Migrants in Highly Vulnerable Situations
Theme of the Guatemala PPT: Migration in action.